Syncing your e-mails to Planhat gives you a powerful way of storing all customer conversations in your customer success platform. Having the e-mail conversation stored in the same place as you have your customer data, contracts, license data and support tickets gives you a true one-stop-shop for your customer success team.
Planhat will only sync emails to or from your customers. We do not sync any internal emails and you can block any specific domains or email addresses from being synced if needed.
This is what Planhat's email sync does:
- First, Planhat knows who your customers are based on the customer data you have in Planhat and their email domains
- After syncing your email account (see below), Planhat reviews your email meta-data, identifies emails to or from your customers and syncs them.
- Planhat will not store any emails that are not customer related - it recognises your customers based on their e-mail domains (@yourcustomer.com) which are stored on each Account profile.
- Once set up, every time you or one of your colleagues receives or sends an e-mail from or to a customer, the e-mail will show up in the customer profile in Planhat and in the Conversations module.
- If you receive an e-mail from someone with the same domain as a customer, but who is not currently a User in Planhat, Planhat can automatically create a user profile using details from the e-mail. This is optional but very helpful in some instances.
How to sync your e-mail with Planhat:
1. Go to your profile page
2. Go to the emails tab, located top middle on the page.
3. Select, 'Enable sync'.
4. Select the folders you would like to sync (emails in folders not selected will not be synced) and click on Update Sync Settings. It can take up to 15 minutes for all emails to appear in Planhat. Often it is easiest to sync your Inbox and Sent items, but if you use customer folders for emails, using them is fine.
Once synced you will see emails on their related customer profile and in the Activity/Conversations module (History). The metric "Last Touch" will also update.
How to copy your sent e-mails to Planhat
As an alternative, you can also get your sent e-mails copied into Planhat by bcc'ing the address email@example.com. We do not recommend this approach as it leads to incomplete customer data existing in Planhat, but in certain use cases it can be helpful.
When emails are bcc'd to Planhat they will be associated with the recipient user if the user already exists, but they will not show in chains like normally synced emails. While it's an option that can help in some circumstances, we do not recommend this approach for Customer Success despite its popularity with some CRMs.
Trust us, it's not the way to run a world class CS team!
How to exclude certain emails from syncing
Planhat makes sure you're getting all of the information you need about a customer within the platform and that is why Planhat can create a new user if it detects an email with a domain that matches an existing company.
This is great so you can make sure to stay on top of everything, but there are certain emails (for example service emails, marketing campaign emails or sensitive emails) that you don't need to be synced and they just end up crowding your view.
Specific email addresses and domains can be blocked from syncing with your Planhat account altogether. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact Planhat support if you want to block any addresses/domains and we'll update your account.
Quick reminder on some of the important points.
- Planhat syncs emails from Gmail and O365.
- When you first sync your emails into Planhat, we look 90 days back so if you sent an email before then it will not be synced. This can be extended if required.
- When emailing users that are not in Planhat if we have enough information we can create a new user and map it to the appropriate company profile page.
- Specific email addresses and domains can be blocked from syncing altogether (contact us if you want to do this as we'll need to update your account)
- All synced emails can be removed at any time by the user.
- If an email syncs to the wrong account owing to duplicate related domains, you can move it by clicking the ellipsis button on the email and selecting the correct account.