Planhat is a powerful customer success tool and can be configured in many different ways to fit your customer success setup.
Let's get you started with the basics you will need to get up-and-running with planhat. In this guide, you will find our recommended initial steps for getting your company set up in Planhat, and from there you can choose to learn about and grow into the other modules of Planhat.
Step 1) Getting your customers imported into Planhat
This is an obvious first step, but what is important here is determining in what way you would like to get your customer data into Planhat.
There are several options to do this:
- Manually adding customers - This works well if you have less than 100 customers. You get full control over the data entry and it's also a great opportunity to clean up your data in case it's not 100% organized today. Also, depending on how many new customers you're adding, you can add a new customer as they sign up!
- Excel import - download our excel import template for your customers here
- API - If you're a developer you might find a simple POST to our API the most convenient solution. For authentication and other general API details please see our online docs
- CRM sync - If you already have your customer data in Salesforce or another CRM supported by Planhat and would like the platforms to sync, this would be the right option. Find information about our Salesforce integration here
Step 2) Getting your user profile & email setup
If you're using Gmail or Outlook, syncing your emails with Planhat takes only a few minutes!
- Hover over your avatar in the bottom-left hand corner
- Navigate to your profile
- Select the Email tab
- Enable access and select the folders you would like to sync with Planhat
Step 3) Usage Data
This step requires some help from your development team, but once you get usage data into Planhat you will be able to start customizing your health score even further, creating triggers based off of this data and so much more.
It certainly isn't a requirement to get you started, but it is a great way to start getting a lot of customer insights for your team.
Watch this video on Usage Data (also found in this section of our help center) to learn more about the Usage Data module in Planhat and what you can use that data for!
To send in Usage Data you have several options:
- Send through our open API - Sending data to our API directly from your server is the most robust, flexible and straightforward approach. Sending data from your back-end also opens up a world of opportunities for custom metrics not directly related to user activities. Read more in our online docs
- Tracking Script - Planhat comes with a tracking script just like Google Analytics, Mixpanel and all the other providers. It's a quick and easy solution in cases where you cannot send events from your server. Read more in our online docs
- Segment - Planhat is a Segment partner. If you're a Segment customer then flipping the switch in Segment is usually all it takes. Read more in our online docs
Step 4) Health Scores
The concept of Health Score (and Success Dimensions) is critical to customer success and methodologies around how to reduce churn and identify up-sell opportunities. If set up properly, it will help your teams understand where to focus. It’s also a great way of clarifying the value you provide to your customers and setting goals for your customer success team.
Take some time to discuss internally which KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) that you want to track (the KPIs will together make up your overall health score). Be as specific as possible and try to put a weight to each KPIs.
Here is an article that might help get you started on which ones to consider.
But, when you are ready to get your Health Score setup, here are some materials to help:
Step 5) Revenue data
You can choose to manage all your license data in Planhat or to manage this elsewhere (e.g. Salesforce) and then simply present the data in Planhat. Another option is your data can be managed in Planhat but synced to an external source such as Salesforce.
You need to decide where you want the “source of truth” for your subscription data to be - either in your own CRM or in Planhat.
First, determine your revenue settings. To do this, hover over your avatar in the bottom left hand corner, and go to settings > general > scroll down to find the section titled 'Revenue' and set your settings here.
When you set your base currency, that is the primary currency you sell.
Second, you need to import your revenue data and you can choose how to do that:
When you have the basics all set up and ready to go, you can start on setting up your Playbooks, Triggers, and your other Integrations with Planhat.
There are several different modules that you can turn on or off as your customer success practice becomes more sophisticated.
Please take a look at the overview videos in the Getting Started section of our help center to get familiar with the tool, and maybe become a little inspired for how you can start to build your CS operation with Planhat.